The present information should be valid for all Windows Operating System. Still It must be confirmed for each version to point out differences.
List of Registery key:
- SAM: Security Account Manager
- SECURITY: Contains security information
- SOFTWARE: Software configuration.
- SYSTEM: System configuration.
- HARDWARE: recreated at each start, list of all present hardware.
- DEFAULT: Default System Information.
Path of system registry files: C\Windows\System32\Config
Current User’s data:
- Registery key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Profile file: NTuser.dat
File System Organisation:
Windows registry are contains in registry files, named Hive File. It is a set of file containing the registery data.
The storage of those file changes from different version. The location of the file is stored in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist
They are not directly readable by the user through the Operating system.
Some of the present information could be out of date, depending of the version of the operating system. Feel free to send the updates.
The information were extracted from
- Wikipedia page: Windows_registery